Understanding Your Rights When Someone Else Is at Fault for a Car Accident

If you are unlucky enough to be involved in a car accident, aka RTA (Road Traffic Accident.) then not only can it be a very traumatic experience but can be even more frustrating and stressful if it was no fault of your own! Each country may slightly differ but in the UK, you do have rights and understanding these rights are key to helping you deal with this in a timely manner and cost-effective way. Below we take you through the recommended steps to getting it sorted out.

Seek Medical Attention

If you are involved in a car accident, your health and well-being should be your top priority. Even if you do not feel injured, it is important to seek medical attention. Some injuries may not be apparent immediately after an accident but could manifest themselves later. In addition, seeing a doctor will provide you with medical documentation that may be useful in any legal proceedings that may arise.

Document the Accident

Keeping a record, or in other words documenting the accident puts you in good stead to getting this sorted, it is a case of collating the evidence and this can include taking photos of the accident scene, obtaining contact and insurance information from the other driver, and getting contact information from any witnesses. Make sure to write down the details of the accident, including the time, date, location, and any other relevant information that you think may be useful.

Report Your Motor Vehicle Accident

Reporting your vehicle accident to Innocent Driver is the quickest way of getting back on the road, without any out-of-pocket expenses if it is not your fault, you can call 0800 368 8928. You should report the accident to the police if there are any injuries, if the other driver has left the scene, or if the accident has caused damage to property or vehicles. If there are injuries then we suggest calling an ambulance before any of the above, especially if serious!

Determine Who’s At Fault

Determining fault in a car accident can be complicated. However, in the UK, the driver who is at fault for the accident is responsible for paying for any damages or injuries that result from the accident. This means that if the other driver caused the accident, you have the right to seek compensation from them. Here at Innocent Driver we handle everything on your behalf, from claims to getting your car repaired to arranging an alternative vehicle whilst it is off the road, all with no expense to yourself if it isn’t your fault.

Seeking Compensation

If you have been injured in a car accident that was caused by someone else, you may be entitled to compensation. This can include compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses that are related to the motor vehicle accident, and you may also be entitled to compensation for pain and suffering or any short- and long-term injuries.

To seek compensation, you will need to file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company. You may want to consider hiring a personal injury lawyer to help you navigate the process and ensure that you receive the compensation that you are entitled to. Again, this is something that Innocent Driver can advise you on as well as arranging for a hire car whilst your vehicle is being repaired at no cost to yourself.

Know Your Rights

In the UK, you have the right to seek compensation if you have been injured in a car accident that was caused by someone else. It is important to know your rights and to assert them when necessary. Innocent Driver is more than happy to handle everything on your behalf, as well as them getting you back on the road as soon as possible without it costing you a penny! Call 0800 368 8928 and take the pain out of the claim.

In conclusion, being involved in a car accident caused by someone else can be a frustrating and stressful experience. However, by understanding your rights and taking the necessary steps to protect them, you can ensure that you receive the compensation that you are entitled to. And with Innocent Driver, it won’t affect your no-claims bonus, they will repair your car without out of pocket expenses and get you back on the road quickly. If you have been involved in a car accident, make sure to seek medical attention, document the accident, report it to the appropriate authorities, and give Innocent Driver a ring on 0800 368 8928

Getting In Touch

We offer a wide range of ways to get in touch with us. The quickest being to call us on our freephone number which is 0800 368 8928. Alternatively, you can fill out our contact form on our website, the direct link to this is innocentdriver.com/contact-us or use the yellow ‘Make a Claim’ button. If you prefer to email us, you can do so by sending an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and using the title ‘Make a Claim’. With the first option we will speak with you and take as much details as we can on the claim, to speed the claim we recommend having your vehicle details to hand, as well as the other involved party or parties, if possible, but don’t worry the important step is to initiate the claim with us.

Or Speak to an Adviser Now