How To Report A Car Accident

Did you know that you are legally required to report all car accidents to the police? Even the small scrapes and bumps! This sometimes inconvenient step prevents you from getting into trouble later down the line.

A typical example of how this could go wrong is when drivers gently bump another vehicle in a car park. In the moment, they might decide to drive off, concluding that no harm could have come from such a tiny bump. If the other vehicle has in fact been damaged, failure to stop and report the bump could cost the driver penalty points on their license as a minimum.

The driver of any motor vehicle involved in an accident is required by law to stop at the scene  If harm is caused to a person, animal or property. It doesn’t matter who is to blame or how severe the collision is, you must stop. Failure to stop could result in a fine and/or a jail sentence of up to six months. If your details are not provided at the scene of the crime then, in accordance with, Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, you must report the accident to the police within 24 hours.

Here at Innocent Driver, we are fully aware of the stress and the difficulties that can occur following a car accident, especially if it hasn’t been your fault! If you give us a call following an accident, we will be on the line, ready to help out.

Note that this guide is for a non-emergency situation. If you or anyone else is injured, then please call 999 immediately. It’s also important to call 999 if your vehicle is obstructing a road or pavement.

If you are and involved in a car accident (or any other type of vehicle and any of the following occurs:

  • Someone gets injured
  • An animal is injured.
  • Someone else’s property is damaged. The property includes pubic/council property such a street lights, street sign etc.

Then you have to:

  • Stop your vehicle in a safe spot.
  • Provide your details to anyone present at the scene who has reasonable grounds to request them. This could be anyone else involved in the accident, the police or witnesses. Details required included; your name, your address, your telephone number, your registration plate and insurance details. If the vehicle belongs to some else, then you must provide their details too.

Suppose you fail to stop or provide your details when requested, then you have committed a criminal offence.

If for any reason, you don’t provide your details to anyone at the scene of the accident, you must report the accident to the police. You should report the incident as soon as possible, 24 hours being time limit to do so.

Please note the report should be made in person. You can locate your local police station here or call the non-emergency line 101.

Innocent Driver has put together this list of steps to take after an accident to make your life easier!

Did you know Innocent Driver® is a motor claims service provider that looks to put you back in the same position that you were in before your accident? If your claim is accepted, you won’t have to pay your excess and No Claims Discount should be unaffected.

Getting In Touch

We offer a wide range of ways to get in touch with us. The quickest being to call us on our freephone number which is 0800 368 8928. Alternatively, you can fill out our contact form on our website, the direct link to this is or use the yellow ‘Make a Claim’ button. If you prefer to email us, you can do so by sending an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and using the title ‘Make a Claim’. With the first option we will speak with you and take as much details as we can on the claim, to speed the claim we recommend having your vehicle details to hand, as well as the other involved party or parties, if possible, but don’t worry the important step is to initiate the claim with us.

Or Speak to an Adviser Now